Welcome! We’re Dave & Amelia Jensen, a fly fishing couple from Pincher Creek in SW Alberta, Canada. We made the decision to live and breathe fly fishing years ago, in 1996 we embarked on our fly fishing career. In that time we’ve guided fly fishing & expedition trips; owned & operated an Award-winning back country lodge; owned & published Alberta’s #1 fishing magazine (Alberta Fishing Guide); have had deep influence & input in Alberta Fisheries at local & provincial levels; produced a series of fly fishing DVDs as well as our online video series.
Home to us, the feeling of connection, fulfillment, joy, and wholeness comes from our life on the water, together. We love sharing these moments with others through hosting trips or capturing moments on our camera. We prefer to be under-stated.
When the snow flies in Alberta, Canada we travle 2 to 3 months to fly fish New Zealand. We travel modestly in a 4×4 van, poking through various valleys and watersheds, dissecting one valley to the next as there are always hidden tributaries to explore. These days always bring several moments of magic with fish, birds, or the weather. It’s simply a rod, light pack, lunch and our camera.
TO REACH US
Email is best Dave firstname.lastname@example.org Amelia email@example.com
Cell phone only 587 876 1698. Please leave a message!
Please keep in mind we’re likely on the water somewhere and we’ll reply to msgs & emails ASAP.
OUR RESUME OF FLY FISHING / COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT:
* We owned & published the Alberta Fishing Guide Magazine for 4 years, 2014 – 2018. It’s Alberta’s largest, oldest outdoor magazine that began in 1971. We purchased this publication when our dear friend and magazine’s founder received a terminal diagnosis. We gave the magazine publishing world our best shot and enjoyed our time updating a few aspects of the magazine while honoring and continuing Barry’s legacy.
* Our involvement with Orvis Fly Fishing began in the early 1990s. We had a great connection through the Orvis Endorsed Guides, Lodges, Outfitters program (through which we won several awards). We’ve had considerable footage used in the Orvis “Learn To Fly Fish” Learning Center. 2016 through present, we continue to develop Orvis’ MASTER-CLASS MONDAY advanced tactics video series. We are field testers for rods, waders, boots, packs, clothing. Amelia is part of Orvis’ Women in Leadership program. We have both been featured as Orvis Trout Bums of the week. Amelia. Dave. Amelia had a great interview with Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis regarding women in fly fishing, what guiding & sight-fishing is really like. Listen here.
* We owned and operated a small fly in fly fishing retreat at the incredible brook trout destination of Fortress Lake Retreat, BC for 10 years, being recognized for our hospitality with several Awards & Nominations.
* We’ve written articles for magazines; have been involved in various tv shows, websites, and other media. Our media has been featured in Fly Fisherman, American Angler, Northwest Fly Fishing, Southwest Fly Fishing, Eastern Fly Fishing, Western Sportsman, Fly Fusion, Alberta Fishing Guide, Home Waters, Fly Fishing the West, Sport Fishing on the Fly, Canadian Fly Fisher, The New Fly Fisher, Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing, Orvis News, Fin-Chasers, and other international fly fishing magazines and tv productions.
* We produced our Sight-Fishing Trout Rivers DVD to help people learn to engage this wonderful style of fly fishing.
* We produced our Stripped Down: The Brown Trout Project . Through our years engaged with brown trout, it was time to share through this in-depth production.
* We lobbied to have the Ram River designated catch & release in 1998. Fall, 2017, the Alberta government attempted to massively change the regulations & mgt of the Ram R drainage, leading to their proposal to remove C&R regs we had fought for. Our influence & lobby pushed back against the government – with 100% public opposition in reply to their survey once we began our campaign. We stopped the overhaul and have since attempted to encourage better communication & inclusion by our government department. It was sad to see this turn in government action for our fisheries.
* We began the Alberta Streamwatch Conservation Coalition in 2002. It focused on educating anglers about Alberta’s east slope trout stream’s vulnerabilities, their regulations, and ultimately hired enforcement officers through a co-op between anglers, lobby groups and government. The program also addressed land use issues. It had a successful decade of operations before the Alberta government took over the project and shut it down.
* The summer of 2015 in Alberta saw intense drought & heat. Dave pursued the Emergency Trout Streams Closures through the provincial Fisheries Round Table Sub-Committee in 2016. It was implemented starting 2017. It’s imperfect and not as far-reaching as possible, but is a solid start to managing for severe drought conditions of low & warm water.
* Dave began lobbying the Alberta government in 1999 to re-visit the Red Deer R Mgt Plan, which would encompass fish and water management of this tailwater fishery. Through countless meetings and re-shifting of gov priorities, a RDR Mgt Plan Committee was finally begun 13 years later. We met once a month for two years before formulating a draft plan in early 2014. That plan was shelved by the Alberta government as their priorities focus on overhauling a new “simplified” regulations for all Alberta’s fisheries. 20 years later, there remains no Fisheries Mgt Plan on the Red Deer.
* In 2015 we assisted New Zealand fly fishing guide Serge Bonnafoux in protecting a small brown trout spawning tributary to a trophy water. It was under threat by a dam project proposal to use the water for irrigation and power generation. We supplied the images, video, and specific fisheries information for the successful lobby to stop that project.
* We produced a series of simple productions in the early 2000’s titled “Fly Fishing Alberta’s Hatches”, a slideshow series detailing those opportunities.
* From 1996 to 2006 we hosted the Fly Fish Alberta online Forum, then Canada’s busiest fly fishing forum with 11M hits a month.