TO REACH US
Email is best
Cell phone only 587 876 1698. Please leave a message!
Please keep in mind we’re likely on the water somewhere and we’ll reply to msgs & emails ASAP.
Welcome! We’re Dave & Amelia Jensen. We reside in the small town of Pincher Creek in SW Alberta, Canada after 30+ years fishing central Alberta’s brown trout streams. We’re 1/2 hr to Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park, 45 minute to the US border, at the edge of the Canadian Rockies and some exceptional trout rivers and streams. Our new home region is a mecca for fly fishing with a dozen solid trout rivers and countless tributaries set against a rocky mountain backdrop.
Home to us, the feeling of connection, fulfillment, joy, and wholeness comes from our life on the water, together. We love sharing these moments with others through capturing moments on our camera. We prefer to be under-stated. We made the decision to live and breathe fly fishing years ago, in 1996 we embarked on our fly fishing career.
Today our seasons are spent on the water filming media for Orvis as hosts of the weekly Master-Class videos, as well as doing media & promotion work for lodges and fly shops.
Each winter the past 13 years we’ve traveled to the S Island of New Zealand to enjoy a second summer of fly fishing and filming. It’s our sharing of sight-fishing video work that has seen a wave of following on Instagram the past 3 years. We began our fly fishing careers as guides in 1996 and quickly grew our business based on the sight-fishing and dry fly fishing of central Alberta brown trout streams and the Ram River cutthroat trout. We purchased and operated the remote, helicopter & float plane access Fortress Lake Retreat in 2005, enjoying the 3 to 10lb brookies the lake held.
Our photography and writing had us published in most major fly fishing magazines in North America the late 90s through ownership of our own magazine (Alberta Fishing Guide) in 2013. Since selling the magazine in 2018 we’ve focused on our social media activity, choosing to share through that media in order to connect with, inspire & encourage other fly fishers.
Our video production work came as a result of life-long interest in watching captivating wildlife video. Our first efforts with video came in the late 1990s as a result of our desire to promote our fly fishing guiding, then lodge ownership. First out of necessity, our work instantly focused on the internet audience, seeking to film tight footage of trout rises and eats. This led to our 2001 – 2004 production of a 3 DVD series “Fly Fishing Albert’as Hatches”, our 2012 production of “Sight-Fishing Trout Rivers”DVD and the 2014 production of “The Brown Trout Project”, a 4 hr dissection of fly fishing brown trout. Our video has supported tv shows such as The New Fly Fisher and Sportfishing on the Fly as well as various online video productions for various magazines. New productions focusing on the art of the rise and further education & observations are set to begin being released in late 2019.
Community involvement & interaction has always been at our forefront. We hosted the Fly Fish Alberta internet forum from 1998 through 2010 – it was Canada’s busiest fly fishing forum with 11M+ hits each month. We purchased the Alberta Fishing Guide (est 1971) magazine from long-time friend & mentor upon his terminal diagnosis, ensuring the magazine’s legacy continued. A large component of our time & effort has gone into lobby efforts for habitat and fisheries improvement in our home province of Alberta, Canada with further influence on the South Island New Zealand.
Dave was originally schooled in Forestry and had a 5 year career with the Alberta Forest Service in central Alberta – his home waters’ region. Dave chaired the first Bighorn Wildland Conservation Coaltion 1999 – 2001. We were jointly responsible for leading the lobby to have Alberta’s Ram R designated catch & release in 1999; reducing harvest rates on several streams & lakes; lobbied for 20 years to have Alberta’s Red Deer River management plan revamped & implemented; was a member of Alberta’s Fisheries Round Table committee through its disbanding in 2018; and was instrumental in pursuing the implementation of Alberta’s Emergency Trout Stream Closures (Hoot Owl Restrictions). Dave was instrumental in co-developing Alberta’s Streamwatch Coalition as a group of anglers across Alberta took on hiring enforcement officers for several trout streams. In New Zealand our media has supported initiatives to stop a dam on a back country stream as well as to support agricultural industry water use changes.
Our other interests: Amelia is passionate about water color painting; they both love physical activity and do a lot of mountain biking, hiking and cross-country skiing.
- 1977 Dave began fly fishing
- 1995 began lobby to influence angling regulations changes on 2 regional waters
- 1996 Started as full-time fly fishing guides “Fly Fish Alberta”
- 1997 First published in Alberta Fishing Guide magazine
- 1998 First Individual in Alberta to press charges using Federal Fisheries Act legislation against the MD Clearwater at the Tay R crossing site when provincial authorities refused to uphold environmental standards. Case set a precedent to ensure that all Municipal Districts & Counties in Alberta will be held to account for proper stream crossing construction, design & implementation.
- 1998 – 2013 published in Fly Fisherman, Fly Fusion, NW/SW/Eastern FF, American Angler, Home Waters, Canadian Fly Fisher, combination of 15+ print publications
- 1996 – 2006 Hosted the Fly Fish Alberta Forum (11M hits/month)
- 1998 – 2001 Chaired Alberta’s Bighorn Wildland Conservation Coalition
- 1999 Lobbied to have Alberta’s Ram R designated C&R
- 1999 – 2018 Lobbied for creation & execution of Red Deer River Mgt Plan Lobby & Sub-Committee (draft plan developed in 20016 remains politically hand-cuffed by AB Fisheries Policy Branch)
- 2001 – 2005 Started & Facilitated Alberta’s Streamwatch Coalition
- 2001 – 2004 3 DVD set “Fly Fishing Alberta’s Hatches”
- 2005 – 2013 Owned & Operated Fortress Lake Retreat
- 2006 – 2018 Alberta Fisheries Round Table Committee member
- 2006 – present Travel to S Island New Zealand sight-fishing & videography
- 2007 – present Orvis Rod, Wader, Boots & Tackle Field Testers
- 2010 Published in National Inquirer
- 2011 Won Orvis ELOG Expedition of the Year
- 2012 Finalist Orvis ELOG Expedition of the Year
- 2012 Produced “Sight-Fishing Trout Rivers” DVD
- 2013 Won Orvis ELOG Expedition of the Year
- 2013 – 2018 owned & published Alberta Fishing Guide Magazine
- 2014 Produced “The Brown Trout Project” DVD
- 2015 Pursued through to implementation the Alberta Emergency Trout Stream Protocols & Procedures (Hoot Owl Restrictions)
- 2015 Assisted to stop New Zealand dam on Kakapo Brook
- 2015 – Behind the scenes lobby holding regional biologists’ feet to the fire in keeping Alberta’s Raven R system catch & release coming out of Red Deer R oil spill using data shortage and change of angler will as basis points.
- 2016 – present Host & Produce Orvis Master-Class series
- 2016 – lobbied to gain verbal commitment from AB Gov Fisheries officials to begin management plans for non-native fish species & populations (brown trout cited feature species). This is open & left unfulfilled for another angler/ lobby to pursue
- 2017 – Led the fight against Alberta Regional Fisheries Biologists & HQ Policy Dept plans to close several rivers for 5 years based on modeling projections. Dave’s articles here #1; here #2 took the North-Central Native Trout Initiative (later deemed “junk science” by an external audit) social media driven & extremely leading to the Dept’s agenda survey from 95% to just over 50% as it woke Alberta anglers up to what was happening and what the initiative was based on – junk science. Regional Bio John Tchir point-blank told Dave “You killed the NCNT, your articles gutted it. Watching the survey results was like someone turned on a light switch and not one positive result came after. There’s no chance it survives politically”. There is opportunity for anglers in Alberta to force the issue here and demand changes to how our Fisheries Mgt System works, who it includes, and to improve communication with the angling public.
- 2018 – Present: Media Production & Promotion for lodges & guides
- 2019 Hosted trips to 2 lodges in Argentina via Orvis Travel
- 2019 On Demand Productions “Rise Art” & “Advanced Sight-Fishing Tactics” release TBA
- We have both been featured as Orvis Trout Bums of the week. Amelia. Dave. Amelia had a great interview with Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis regarding women in fly fishing, what guiding & sight-fishing is really like. Listen here.
“Orvis has been working with the Jensens for more than 10 years and they always deliver. From detailed field testing feedback, to collaborating on which problems to solve next, they are among our most trusted advisers. They are always willing to go the extra mile when needed. No team in fly fishing has the complete package like Dave and Amelia. Our product has improved thanks to their involvement.” Shawn Combs, Director Product Development/Design – Fish/Hunt
“I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate the video of our new Ultralight Wading boots. Often, at Orvis Guide Rendezvous, because it’s new product we are telling stories and repeating feedback through the field-testing phase, but we showed the boots and played the video and people were blown away. Very impactful, thank you both.” Shawn Combs. Director Product Development/Design, The Orvis Company
* We owned and operated a small fly in fly fishing retreat at the incredible brook trout destination of Fortress Lake Retreat, BC for 10 years, being recognized for our hospitality with several Awards & Nominations.